Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Discovering my inner jock

Last week in Canada I got my hair cut... well, not totally off, but very short. I didn't want to have to mess with hair -- you know, shampoo, combs, and all that -- while on a bike trip.

I got two very different reactions to my altered persona from the first two people who commented: one said I looked like a monk; the other said I looked like a jock. I've never pretended to be either, but frankly, being called a jock is about the last thing I ever thought I would hear. You've got to realize that I was always the skinny kid with almost no athletic aptitude. I was usually the next to the last kid to be chosen for a team in school -- right before the, let's just say, most athletically challenged kid on the other end of the scale, so to speak.

What can I say? I excelled at other things. But even if it was a sport I liked, like baseball (sorta) or tennis, I just knew I'd never be able to compete with the kids for whom it was actually important.

Consequently, I am a late-bloomer when it comes to the rigors of athletic activity. I work hard at other kinds of activities, but I have rarely ever broken a sweat doing something athletic. Honestly.

By now, some are wondering why in the world I ever thought I wanted to bike from Canada to Mexico. I also am asking myself the very same question. Yes, I love adventure, and I love a challenge. And I love the outdoors, and I love spending time with my son. But I don't particularly love pain -- physical pain -- and there has been a lot of it this past week.

Now George is only slightly more of a jock than I. He endured a few football and lacrosse camps when he was at prep school -- mostly because he HAD to do a sport. But he learned a lot in those experiences. He's our "trainer" on this trip, making sure I do all the right stretching exercises in the morning and at stops throughout the day. He's also the "encourager" reminding me that Richard Simmons is right -- "You've got to work through the burn!"

We've been working through lots of burn, believe me. But now that we've ridden over 300 miles (we'll get to the Columbia River tomorrow!), I'm feeling less and less of that pain.

Today we had a spectacular day. We only rode 65 or 70 miles, but it was fun! Yes, the terrain was a little flatter and there wasn't as much of the brutal climbing we've been doing some days. But if we had started a little earlier in the day today, I honestly could have gone another 25 miles.

A woman stopped me outside the Mexican restauamt where we ate lunch today to ask where we were headed. I told her and she was surprised. She told me she had recently done a triathalon, and I assured her that she was much more of an athlete than I. She then drew the distinction between sprinting and the endurance required for long distance, and made a comment about not having what it takes to go the distance. I could have said the same thing -- except that I'm learning otherwise, even at this rather late point in life.

Both George and I are more conscious than ever of how important the food we feed ourselves is. Keeping a healthy, balanced diet makes a huge difference in how we feel and how we perform out there on the road. We're feeling really great with zero caffeine, alcohol, or junk foods; lots of protein and fiber; and making sure we keep lots of fluids (almost exclusively water and juices) in our systems.

George also mentioned at one point that endurance is as much mental as it is physical. I think he's right about that, too. I also realized this morning as I was dreading the ride ahead of me that I hadn't been preparing myself spiritually each morning as well as I might, so we took some extra time after our stretches, just to sit, quietly, for a time of silent meditation and prayer together before we set out for the day. It definitely helped set a tone, and enabled us both to find new strength -- inner strength for the challenges ahead of us.

I'm far from being a jock (or a monk for that matter), but I'm learning some great things about endurance, about pain, and about how important it is to feed both the body and the spirit to be the whole person I want to be.

By the way, I love getting your comments, and if you're shy about them being posted, or just wish them to be a private note to me for any reason, just say so and it will not be published to the blog.


Sent from my iPhone

6 comments:

Who Am I? said...

What a great posting. I was staying at a hostel along the coast of California with my oldest daughter a few years ago and we met a guy who I believe told us he was either 80 or approaching 80 and was biking his way along the California coast. A really neat guy. I see what he did and what you are doing as a pilgrimage. Maybe it's the physical or emotional push but it's in the getting outside of usual routines that ideas can germinate and flow. God speed.

Eric B. Schultz said...

What route are you taking? Honestly, I thought you were on a motorcycle until this post. . .so I'm a little slow on the uptake. Is there a website or organization that you consulted that I might check?

Jeffrey Gill said...

Eric, our route has been complicated, but we came down from Vancouver, BC, to Bellingham, then out through the islands in the Puget Sound -- through Anacortes, Port Townsend, then down to Bremerton, then Shelton. Now we're in Centralia waiting out a rainy day.

We're using the Pacific Coast maps from adventurecycling.com. Apparently tried and true routes planned by experienced cyclists. We're convinced that some of them are chosen for their difficulty, however, by some of those crazy jocks that I am not!

Mike Todd said...

Way to go, Jeff and George...
I'm glad I got to see you at this end of the trip!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I giggled over "discovering my inner jock". I don't think I ever will discover mine and I am married to one! I will push some positive energy to the west for your next set of hills. I am proud of you and George; you are leading the way for a lot of us who need to say "Yes we can"

Jim said...

Like you, Jeff, I came late to athletics. Growing up in Oskaloosa, Iowa I was always either walking or riding my bike. I walk about five miles every day I work at my job at the hospital. I have been doing Tai Chi for about three years. Good mental discipline and gives you a chance to confront pain and discomfort in a manageable way. It is great that you and your son have a chance to spend time together.