Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Finding Joy

Eucharist at dawn
looking toward the rising sun
Patrick would love it


At home it is St. Patrick's Day (the morning after here in Japan). Patrick exemplifies the Celtic spirit -- a spirit I find has remarkable similarities with the Japanese spirit, particularly with respect to its sense of the divine (kami) in all of nature.

I started the day with something generally reserved for life in community with others, but I find myself alone today, the communion of saints notwithstanding.

I'm normally in church on Wednesday mornings early for the Eucharist with friends and fellow travelers back home, so this morning I got up before dawn, opened the drapes to let in the first light coming in over Goishigahama beach below. There before the large plate glass window, I sat a small table on the tatami mat, laid a white cloth, with bread and wine, sat cross-legged in my yukata on the tatami, and began a time of silent meditation -- no words necessary, but drinking in deeply the wonders of creation and the glory of the Creator.

Robert A. Johnson, in his book Ecstasy: Understanding the Psychology of Joy, says that "Enthusiasm is truly a divine word because it means 'to be filled with God' (en-theo-ism). Thus to be visited by an enthusiasm is legitimately to be filled with God. The soul is enhanced where the self is activated -- a beautiful experience. Joy is a part of this."

I was filled with God this morning. And yes, it brought deep joy.

1 comment:

Anne Lamontagne said...

Facinating, even though you find yourself alone, we never are. God is always with us. Sounds like a perfect morning.