Sunday, March 22, 2009

Haiku for the day

I'm on a train going up the coast of the Izu peninsula nearing Ito on my way to Tokyo, then another hour or so to Narita airport to meet Carolyn. It's a beautiful day along the coast, so here are couple of haiku to try and capture the day's experience.

This first one is in Japanese:

Itoh made
Umi utsukushii
Kumo ga aru

Translation:

Journey to Ito
Beautiful ocean waves crash
Clouds in the distance


Surfers on the beach
Catching the waves this morning
Wish I were younger


Carolyn coming
Narita I'm on my way
to meet my lover

Another one in Japanese:

Sakura mada
ki ni aru koto de
nioitai

Translation:

Cherry blossoms still
on the trees in the distance
Wish I could smell them

3 comments:

Eric B. Schultz said...

A little bit of Japan on the North Shore:

Reading Jeff's haiku
While sitting at Acura
Brake pads: six percent.

Anonymous said...

What is my treat now?
Reading Jeff's new blog entry.
So fascinating ...

Jeffrey Gill said...

Eric and Lisa,
You're both so clever! What great responses. Keep 'em coming!